FPS Tweaking

GOLD0Respect7
Posts52DisRespect0
DOTA
City:
Lithuania
Hello everybody,

I don't relly think that these days people really need to tweak their pc's or their CS game just to boost up their FPS in game. But i suppouse there are still people with low-performance pc's. For instance - myself, i don't have a very good PC, and i do really get some fps drops some times, i think, i'm just going to post some things that will likely boost your fps.

1. Drivers

Always keep your drivers up to date. Update your Chipset drivers (you should find them on your motherboard manufacturers website, to know what kind of motherboard you have, just use a program called Everest or check your pc specifications) and of course update your Video cards drivers (mainly there are just 2 manufacturers www.ati.com and www.nvidia.com)

2. Configurating your video card.

Open up your Video cards setting and do these things.
+ Turn off Anti-Alliasing
+ Turn off Antisotropic
+ If there is this kind of option, change your Image settings to "High performance"
+ Vertical sync should always be off (it doesn't let your fps go above the amount of your monitors HZ, for example, if you're using 75hz ingame, then it won't let you pass 75 fps.)
+ And of course use the maximum refresh rate for monitor (yes this is the HZ). And take note that your desktop refresh rate might differ from your ingame refresh rate, and use it. (For example on my monitor on 1650x1050 resolution, that's what i use for my desktop, i can get only 60hz, but using 640x480 ingame I can use 75hz, try and download Refresh Lock and find out what hz you can use with lower resolutions.)

3. Configurating your Counter-Strike

Open up your userconfig.cfg (make sure that on your config.cfg there is a command - exec userconfig.cfg) and paste in this text:

cl_weather "0"
r_dynamic "1"
r_novis "0"
r_traceglow "1"
r_wateralpha "1"
r_mirroralpha "0"
r_bmodelhighfrac "5.0"
r_lightmap "0"
gl_max_size "256"
precache "1"
mp_decals "20"
gl_affinemodels "0"
gl_alphamin "0.25"
gl_clear "0"
gl_dither "1"
gl_flipmatrix "0"
gl_flashblend "0"

gl_lightholes "0"

cl_showfps "1"

cl_minmodels "1"

(Take note that some tournaments online or lan, might require you to change some settings, i don't really know which of these commands are illegal, which are legal, but i would recomment it for more casual gaming, but i think you could try this while playing competively :) ).

4. Misc. info

There are some things that can boost up your fps.
Just open up your Launch options(on steam) and use these:

-gl (this one forces cs 1.6 to start up using OpenGL mode)
-heapsize 262144 (this means that you allocate 512mb of RAM for the game, it may reduce some ingame pauses. Other heapsize values: 524288 <- for 1GB of ram and 1048576 <- for 2GB of ram.)
-nojoy (this one disables the Joystick, may boost fps, but the amout will be rather small.)
-dxlevel 70 (This forces Couner-Strike to use DirectX 7.0)

5. Net settings

Clearly i use

Cl_updaterate 101
cl_cmdrate 101
rate 25000
ex_interp 0 (it will automatically set you a value.)

I don't get a lot of lag with these settings. But when i play on foreign servers i decrease my updaterate and i get less ms. :> Don't know why this happens, but it helps ;D
Edited: 03 March 2012, 14:58 by kengaru  #1
Imma creeper and imma creep all the way.
Rating
GOLD1Respect411
Posts729DisRespect32
HirelingTop 20 First Registered UsersBlack Boss
City:
Ukraine, Kiev
w00t, thank, really nice guide! =)
07 March 2012, 12:15  #2
~ Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with his experience.
GOLD0Respect7
Posts52DisRespect0
DOTA
City:
Lithuania
Thanks! :) It's really standart, and a lot of that info you can find on the internet, easy to google it.. But i thought to gather up all of the info and post it here :) in case people would have issues with FPS and try to look it up here ;D
07 March 2012, 16:51  #3
Imma creeper and imma creep all the way.
Rating
GOLD50Respect1624
Posts2738DisRespect315
Counter-StrikeThe International 4AWPFamasAK47M4A1DeagleGlockUSPHE GrenadeFlashAncient ApparitionDeath ProphetInvokerHearthstone3ona51IoAlienwareZergProtossTerranVengeful SpiritLeshracHeadhunterRazerSCVВодолей (Aquarius)Весы (Libra)Близнецы (Gemini)League of LegendsStarcraft 2Dota2 DotA 1Counter-strikeДева (Virgo)Лев (Leo)Телец (Taurus)ProtossСтрелец (Sagittarius)Скорпион (Scorpio)Рыбы (Pisces)РакОвен (Aries)Козерог (Capricorn)Terran
City:
Ukraine, Kiev
HLToolz - very nice configuration tool for tweek your CS
08 March 2012, 23:20  #4
Настройка CS, CS:S, CS:GO сервера. Весь спектр услуг жми сюда
Наша страница VK — http://vk.com/cs_rescue
GOLD9Respect0
Posts30DisRespect0
Counter-Strike
City:
Tunisia, Djerba
In this topic, i have a friend who have 100 fps, but in smoke fps become 15 nd 20. Any idea ?
12 March 2012, 14:15  #5
Heero Yuy
GOLD0Respect16
Posts227DisRespect2
BeerFaceless VoidInvokerStorm SpiritСкорпион (Scorpio)Dota2
City:
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Hm.. does he play on a laptop? I have this problem too,when i play CS i have 100 fps,but if someone throws smoke or turns on the flashlight my FPS lowers rapidly.. it comes around 30.. never figured out why,i thought that my laptop was weak.
12 March 2012, 15:35  #6
We are only limited by our own imagination.
GOLD9Respect0
Posts30DisRespect0
Counter-Strike
City:
Tunisia, Djerba
yes, the same problem . Does any one know something ?
12 March 2012, 19:38  #7
Heero Yuy
GOLD0Respect3
Posts15DisRespect0
City:
United Kingdom

yes, the same problem . Does any one know something ?

I do not know how does your friend has a processor but noticed that CS work better on Intel processor.A couple of years I struggled with AMD and now after the change to Intel i have constatns 100 FPS but back to topic most important:
- Vertical Sync OFF
-ati settings
fps_tweaking
FPS Tweaking

- and movie I always use this settings for maintenance constans 100fps
<a rel='nofollow' href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e_1fnEzVds" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e_1fnEzVds</a>

- you can also change models to high fps players models or hltv models

fps_tweaking
FPS Tweaking

Download: dl.dropbox.com/u/568973/cs/hfps-models-v2.rar

- computer set for performance (My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> BOX 'performance' and click on the SETTINGS button - set for better performance)

- sometimes it also helps settings to start cs on one core (if multi-core processor) [ Task Manager - processes - select the process (hl.exe or something) - Right click - Set CPU Affinity]
Edited: 13 March 2012, 12:04 by kast1an  #8

FPS Tweaking